-Aspen's historic May 5, 2009 IRV election audited as single ballots- 5/5/09 Aspen CO held an instant runoff election (IRV) for mayor and 2 council members. Interpreted contents of each ballot, scanned by True Ballot, were publicly released. Open records requests for a CD of image scans were denied. Aspen has been sued to protect records from destruction and to allow inspection of the scanned ballot files. A Court of Appeals ruling holds that unidentifiable ballots are public records.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
See above for Harvie Branscomb's complaint letter.
Marilyn Marks' complaint filing linked as follows:
The Aspen Election Commission met May 5 (the one year anniversary of the controversial 2009 Municipal Election) to hold its first hearing for complaints. The independent commissioners heard Millard Zimet's complaint regarding non-anonymous election processing.
The video recording of the proceedings may be reviewed at:
Marilyn Marks has proposed that the Election Commission conduct a Re-scanning, and Re-Tabulation audit procedure intended to provide some mitigation for the lack of pre-election and post election system testing.
That proposal is at http://www.glassballotbox.org/journal/2010/5/9/proposal-to-election-commission-for-re-scanningre-tabulation.html
Complaints are due to the Election Commission Monday, May 10. They will be posted here as they become available.
The City of Aspen announced that the District Attorney has opened an investigation into the May 2009 election. http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20100507/NEWS/100509873
- Harvie Branscomb's Letter to Aspen Daily News--Ope...
- City talks down, lawyers up (Letter in Aspen Times...
- Fighting Good Public Policy--(LaBonte Letter in A...
- Election Activist Mike LaBonte Comments on Michiga...
- Michigan's Ballots are Pubilc Documents---Why Not ...
- Text of Michigan Attorney General's Opinion on Vot...
- Harvie Branscomb's Letter of Complaint to Aspen El...
- Election Commission Update
- Colorado Voter Group's Al Kolwicz Writes Aspen Ele...
- Marilyn Marks Response to Zimet and Election Commi...
- Millard Zimet Comments to Election Commission on P...
- Election Integrity Activist LaBonte Supports Elect...
- ▼ May (12)